Mediterranean Cuisine is generally considered to be very healthy. Today, I’m sharing with you a recipe for ‘Shakshuka’ which is a Mediterranean breakfast dish. It is so simple and easy to prepare that it shouldn’t take more than 20 minutes of your time and you’ll be enjoying these delicious eggs.
2-3 Medium sized tomatoes (Diced)
1 medium-sized onion (Chopped)
3-4 Large Eggs
Spinach leaves as desired
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt,
1tsp cayenne pepper
1 garlic clove diced
a pinch of sugar
parsley for garnishing
1. In a medium-sized pan, add the olive oil and wait for the about 30 seconds before adding the chopped onions.
2. Sauté the onions. Look for when the onions have turned a golden brown color before adding the tomatoes.
3. Stir occasionally. When the tomatoes start to reduce, add the spinach leaves to the tomato paste. Let simmer for about 2-3 minutes
4. Add the salt, cumin, cayenne pepper with a pinch of sugar and stir to distribute the spices evenly.
5. Crack the eggs on top of the mixture and cover the pan.
6. When the eggs are fully cooked, you can remove the pan from heat.
7. Sprinkle some parsley on top.
8. Your Shakshuka is ready.
Serve the Shukshuka warm with some pita bread chips and enjoy a delicious breakfast.
You can also come up with your version of Shakshuka by adding tofu or a meat option so feel free to get creative and make this recipe your own!
Original Recipe Found on The Mediterranean Dish